Book review: Saints of the Roman Calendar
The past year or so it has really dawned on me in a new way the absolute treasure trove we have in the saints. Not simply as intercessors and friends in Heaven, but as **real life examples** of how to do this thing we call life. Um, wow. (For more on that, check out Saints: A Closer Look.) So I've been on the lookout for a comprehensive-ish book with short(er) stories on the lives of the saints. Don't get me wrong, a good biography/autobiography is well worth the time, and simply doesn't compare to a five-paragraph essay (Saint Francis of Assisi and St. Therese are two that come to mind), but sometimes I just don't have the mental energy to expend on something like that. And I'm just not quite ready to invest in Butler's. Yet. A priest friend recommended Saints of the Roman Calendar (kindle version available here) to me so I went ahead and picked it up. Good call. It is a great, comprehensive edition that includes (as stated by its subtitle) "Feasts Proper to the English-Speaking World." And by "Feasts", this means it includes not only saints but also feasts such as the Assumption or the Immaculate Conception. And because it is tied to the Roman Calendar, it flows with the Liturgy, which I just love. Each saint/feast ranges from 2-3 pages and is divided into two sections: "Historico/Liturgical Note" and "Message and Relevance." The "Historico/Liturgical" section gives a brief biography of the saint/history of the feast and reasons for its celebration including why it was placed on this particular date (for most saints it is the eve or date of their death, but this isn't without exception). The "Message and Relevance" section often quotes from the prayers of the Mass, the Office of Readings (particularly the non-Biblical reading) or one of the antiphons for that particular day, or it may speak/quote further on some of the written works of the saint or give details regarding their cause for canonization. Because this version is "Updated and Revised", it includes very modern feasts such as Bl. Teresa of Calcutta or St. Josephine Bakhita. I particularly appreciate this since the most current edition of the Liturgy of the Hours is 1976. Each saint/feast ends with a prayer, typically from the Preface or Opening Prayer, oftentimes from the missal that may be particular to that saint (IE, Dominican, Augustinian, etc.) If you are looking to learn more about the lives of the saints and their liturgical relevance, I highly recommend this book. I did not receive anything in return for this review, and the links are not affiliate links, I simply wanted to share my love for a new book I acquired. PEACE!!
3 comments:
Ooh, I want this book NOW (this is Millie but I'm stuck on Chuck's account).
Ooh, I want this book NOW (this is Millie but I'm stuck on Chuck's account).
Ohh, thanks for the recommendation! That sounds really good!!
Post a Comment