Saturday, July 12, 2014

Clement is TWO

I thought I would break from the usual Journal posts and give Clem his own little post for his second birthday.

Likes:

  • the word "nooooooooooo" (in his defense, when he does say, "yes," it is an adorable "UHH-huh")
  • eating strawberries and raspberries
  • doing whatever the big kids are doing
  • reading books, he will happily sit on my lap and listen to long picture books, by himself or when I am reading to the big kids
  • bananas
  • giving kisses
  • swinging at the park
  • daddy.  he is aaron's most enthusiastic greeter when he gets home each evening.
  • waving bye-bye to daddy from the front yard.  he stands there waving and yells, "bye-bye daddy-O"
  • the color blue, he is very adamant about wearing his blue jammies and blue shirt if they are clean, and is rather irritated when they are not
  • trains, he especially likes the little Thomas ones that stick together with magnets (he got a stuffed Thomas, a "James" take-along, and some train books for his birthday)
  • his stuffed kitten
  • playing Kolbe's "Let's Go Fishing" game

Dislikes:
  • being contained
  • he used to not really care for black beans, but I think he is eating those now
  • milk.  i can not get this child to drink cow's milk.

Things he is doing at two:
  • he will repeat almost anything, has probably 3-4 dozen words he uses regularly to communicate, and has starting to string together 3-4 word sentences
  • he loves to jump on our little work-out trampoline in the basement
  • he can climb and run and slide at the park quite independently
  • he has been sleeping on the floor in his room (and still co-sleeping some as well) since March, soon he will move to a big boy bed in the same room as Kolbe.  he still nurses to sleep.
  • he recently moved from his high chair to the big table (we had to put another leaf in).  after about a week of this we have decided that a booster seat at meals/snacks is a must. 
  • I will come in and add his weight and height when I've taken him in for a well-child visit here soon.  I am guessing he ways around 23-24 pounds.
  • he wears size 2T clothing
  • he poops on the toilet exclusively and has started showing some interest in potty.  not enough for me to want do any intentional potty-learning with him, but I will continue to encourage.
  • he is much less scary on the stairs than he was just a few months ago. I have actually started letting him go down un-accompanied.  But apparently going down head up on his belly is for the birds.  He likes to hold the rail and step down (like a big kid, go figure) or go down on his bottom.
  • he has started showing more interest in the television the past four or so months, and will sit down and watch a show with the big kids.  he often holds one of his feet while he is watching tv.
  • when I get the camera out he yells, "CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE"
  • he is still nursing during the night, some nights only twice, but a lot of nights many more times, for quite long periods sometimes.  it is getting frustrating and uncomfortable for me, and disturbing my sleep (and his) more than I think is necessary at the age of two, so I have decided to night-wean.  we are going to go cold-turkey.  I anticipate several rough nights, but I think if I am empathetic yet firm (vs. being wishy-washy about it and sending him mixed messages) we will make this transition and both come out happier and well-adjusted on the other side.  wish us luck on this journey.  I'll continue to let him nurse at naptime and bedtime as long as he asks, but I may transition him out of that as well when he moves to the big-kid room
  • he occasionally skips his nap.  when he does nap it is only for 45 or so minutes.  he goes to bed between 7:30-8pm and gets up between 6:30-7am (typically)
climbing UP the slide at the park



with his backpack, just like the big kids

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR CLEMENT!  WE LOVE YOU!!!

2 comments:

Erika Marie said...

What a great summary of Clem! He really is such a cutester. I loved everything about this update and found myself relating to much of it. I'm with you especially on the nursing subject and we are entering into the latter phase of weaning too...I think. This makes me a little sad but also relieved. I'll pray for a smooth and peaceful transition for you both!
Happy birthday, Clem!

CKFV said...

Happy birthday dear Clement!!