Gemma had her first day of kindergarten today at our Catholic parish school. After an awful (yes, horrible, terrible, no good) week around here (someone and another someone do not deal well with change, add some nerves to that and BAM!! Bad week.), I am grateful that her first day of school was a really good day. For all of us. Yes, I was emotional and had a good cry about it the other night and there were a few tears (from both me and her) this morning when I dropped her off, but we are ready for this. It is going to be a good year. A good year for Gemma as she begins her formal schooling. A good year for Kolbe as he gains a little more autonomy at home. A good year for me as I enter this next phase of motherhood. And Aaron and Clem, they just roll with the punches. ;-)
Gemma's kindergarten is half-day, for which I am grateful, but she does eat lunch at school. Honestly, even though I wasn't thrilled about the extended "half" of a day, I think the schedule will work out pretty well for her and for me and the boys. May tone down lunches around here a bit (which I certainly won't complain about). She was pretty matter of fact about her day today. They went on a treasure hunt, said a prayer (oh thank God for a Catholic school) sang/listened to a song that she didn't know, read one book, did a couple puzzles, she had tater puffs, peaches, and a rice krispy treat for lunch. And chocolate milk. (oh dear...) Her favorite part of the day was seeing Father in the lunchroom. And she brought home a couple papers. She's not a huge sharer about stuff, so that was about all I got. But she was in a good mood this afternoon and smiled a lot so I know it was all good. She also said that she still likes home the best and I told her that was just fine.
Gemma's kindergarten is half-day, for which I am grateful, but she does eat lunch at school. Honestly, even though I wasn't thrilled about the extended "half" of a day, I think the schedule will work out pretty well for her and for me and the boys. May tone down lunches around here a bit (which I certainly won't complain about). She was pretty matter of fact about her day today. They went on a treasure hunt, said a prayer (oh thank God for a Catholic school) sang/listened to a song that she didn't know, read one book, did a couple puzzles, she had tater puffs, peaches, and a rice krispy treat for lunch. And chocolate milk. (oh dear...) Her favorite part of the day was seeing Father in the lunchroom. And she brought home a couple papers. She's not a huge sharer about stuff, so that was about all I got. But she was in a good mood this afternoon and smiled a lot so I know it was all good. She also said that she still likes home the best and I told her that was just fine.
Life is good. Now for the pictures.
Eating breakfast...she didn't eat much, she was getting nervous I think. (those are our new glasses, I realllllly like them. bye-bye sippies!!)
Getting dressed. She chose blue socks because blue is Kolbe's favorite color. I thought that was very sweet.
By the door with her backpack. I made her hairbows for her yesterday with some leftover uniform material my MIL had given me. Our neighbor very kindly let me serge them on her machine, and then I tied them onto some ponytail holders (and used lots of hot glue). Gemma chose pink and purple buttons to go on the center of each. :-)
When did she get so big?
With daddy and baby brother. And Kolbe who was acting like a robot.
With her teacher
And she was all smiles at pick-up!!
Here's to a GREAT year!!!










4 comments:
So precious!! Glad everything worked out and it was a good day for both of you!
Maybe next week will be a bit better. :)
That picture of the two of you hugging is too cute for words! Sounds like it was a successful first day, now it's just time to hang on and enjoy the ride :)
How sweet! We start our homeschooling year of preschool on Monday, and I'm terribly nervous!
I said a prayer for Gemma when your mom reminded me she was starting school. She's growing up so fast!
Post a Comment