I reviewed the Flip diaper cover/system here about a year ago, but in revisiting Flip, I don't think I was using it exactly for its intended purpose, so I thought I'd review it again. For quite some time now, Kolbe has been in a very "in between" stage in regards to potty-learning. He poops on the toilet exclusively, and potties there with very irregular regularity. Not enough to wear training pants yet, but enough so that putting on a prefold, snappi and cover each time he goes or tries is a bit tedious. When he hit this point last Fall, I started using my bumGenius 3.0's and 4.0's exclusively with him namely for their ease of use. And it's been really nice. But after 6-8 months of fairly heavy use and washing (I have around 18, and launder every 2-3 days), I can tell that as much as I like the bG diaper, it just doesn't hold up (or absorb) like prefolds do. At all. Oh, they still have plenty of life in them - don't get me wrong - and I've refreshed the elastic and aplix in (almost) all of the 3.0's, I can just tell they definitely have more of a life to them. One thing I've done that I think will extend the life of any diaper (or cover) is started buying diapers and covers that fasten with snaps vs. aplix (velcro). I was a tough sell on snaps, took me a long time to even try them...I was convinced they wouldn't work well. But I tell you, I am now a firm believer. I like 'em a lot. But even so, I was wanting something to ease the use on my bG's a bit so I decided to revisit Flip. I picked up another cover on sale, and as per some recommendations I read in other reviews, I grabbed a 3-pack of Econobum prefolds as well. This has proven to be a very economical and fairly easy alternative to all-in-ones (like bG). The Econobum prefolds are different from a regular prefold in that they are the same thickness all the way across. Plus, they are sized smaller/differently than regular prefolds. So all I have to do is fold one in half, lay it in the Flip cover (there is a place to tuck it under in the front and back) and put the diaper on Kolbe. The same cover can be reused multiple times before washing. Like I said, a little more work than an AIO, but definitely an acceptable alternative. And I like the Flip cover over other similar covers (like the Econobum cover for instance) because it has two rows of snaps where it fastens instead of just one, which makes for a better fit IMHO. This cover also has an adjustable rise. If you're looking for an economical alternative to all-in-ones, I would definitely recommend the Flip/Econobum combo. There is also a variety of inserts made by Flip, including disposable inserts. Click here for more details.
**I did not receive anything in return for this review.**
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing. Our pocket diapers are struggling with Second Son and I know there's no way they'd make it through another child. (They're not really working consistently for this one!) So I'll have to tuck this into the back of my mind if we ever have another baby.
Post a Comment