Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Picture-book-a-day, Advent 2011 (week 4)

Mortimer's Christmas Manger by Karma Wilson - I bought this book on a whim because of the good reviews and the fact that I was several people back in line on the "hold" list at the library.  I'm glad I got it, it is a very sweet story.  I like it more each time I read it (which has been a lot, Gemma is quite taken with it).

Song of the Stars by Sally Lloyd-Jones - "It's time! It's time!"  This book looks at Christ's coming from the perspective of all creation - the plants, animals, seas and rivers.  It's neat.  And the illustrations are in a "painted" style which adds to the uniqueness of this book.  I was on the request list for this brand new book at the library, and quite pleased that we got it before Christmas. 

The First Day of Winter by Denise Fleming - A cute story "read" to the tune of The 12 Days of Christmas.  We'll read this on the first day of winter!

Usborne's The Story of the Nativity by Anna Milbourne - A nice, traditional story of the Nativity, starting with the Annunciation and ending with the visit of the magi (to the stable, but oh well).  The illustrations are sweet, the cover is gorgeous.  I've always been impressed with Usborne's Bible-related books.  

Asleep in the Stable by Will Hillenbrand - A baby owl meets the baby Jesus for the first time.  This is a sweet story that my sister gave Gemma last year for Christmas when she was very fascinated with owls. 

Four Friends at Christmas by Tomie dePaola - Have I mentioned it is hard (if not downright impossible) to go wrong with dear Tomie dePaola?  We checked out his Four Friends in Autumn this Fall and Gemma really liked it, and without a doubt this was a hit as well.  This story is about Mister Frog, who normally hibernates through winter, but is convinced by his best friends to stay up for Christmas.  Will he make it?!

The Christmas Story by Jane Werner - This is a Little Golden Book that I owned as a child.  A sweet traditional story of the Nativity, and the illustrations are by Eloise Wilkin.  Hard to beat. 

On This Special Night by Claire Freedman - A mother cat and her kittens (which will make this book an automatic hit with both Gemma and Kolbe) living in a barn notice a special star shining in the sky one night.  They end up following the other animals who stop in on their way to the stable and meet a very special baby on a very special night.  The illustrations in this book are beautiful.  We will read it on Christmas eve.

This is the Star by Joyce Dunbar - A nice rhyming, repetitive story with very neat illustrations.  They almost look like photographs, but not quite.

Lots of stories about the Nativity this week to prepare for Christ's coming on Christmas!  Hard to believe He's coming so soon. Check out our previous weeks' selections here... Week 1 - Week 2 - Week 3.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

A couple years ago I picked up "This is the Stable" by Cynthia Cotten on a whim since it was 50% off at Borders and we've really enjoyed it. You might add it to your list for next year :)