Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Poetry update

I posted a few months back about reading poetry in our home and I wanted to update.  While we certainly don't read poetry every day or even close to every day at lunch as the "plan" is (I really need to try to be more disciplined about this, maybe blogging about it will help...) we still enjoy it, and lunchtime is definitely the favored time to pull out one of our books of poems.  We currently own Eloise Wilkin's Poems to Read to the Very Young and that has been a great place to start.  My dear friend Debi also gave us a copy of A Child's Garden of Verses which has some great classics.  About a month ago I was browsing for something online at the library (I don't even remember what) and stumbled upon The Bill Martin Jr. Big Book of Poetry.  WOW!  What a treasure.  This is a hugely comprehensive big book, organized by theme with great, colorful illustrations for every poem.  The poems are not by Bill Martin Jr., as the title may imply, but are a compilation of his favorite poems so it is very eclectic.  This book would make a great addition to any home poetry collection, and it is definitely on our wishlist!

2 comments:

Kansas Mom said...

Oh, yes, we liked that one. Our favorites are still Animals, Animals and the A. A. Milne collections (When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six). The kids also like silly collections by folks like Jack Prelutsky. They didn't care for the Robert Louis Stevenson ones until we started memorizing a few of them.

Monica said...

Could you give me the link for "Animals Animals," please? We have checked out When We Were Very Young, and enjoyed it. I can't remember if we've had Now We Are Six or not. Never hurts to go thru something again though. Thx for the suggestions.