Can you believe that Advent is literally right around the corner?! I have been spending some time lately planning our family Advent activities and recently purchased the book "Welcome Baby Jesus: Advent and Christmas Reflections for Families" by Sarah A. Reinhard (Liguori Publications) at our local Catholic bookstore (for a mere $1.99) to aid in the celebration of Advent in our home. What a neat little book! Each day has a "Think", "Pray" and "Act" section with meditations, prayers and Advent actions literally geared towards the whole family. Plus, not only does it go through the Advent season, but it has meditations, prayers and actions for the Octave of Christmas and the Epiphany as well. One of the things that has me most excited about this book is the fact that the meditations are written at a level that I think even Gemma (almost 4) will mostly understand and benefit from. But they definitely seem appropriate for grade-schoolers or even high-schoolers as well I'd think. Mom and dad, too!! It really is written for the whole family. I was so excited about this book - and about its great price - that I decided to purchase an extra one to give away here on the blog!! SO, please leave a comment telling me about your favorite Advent activity or tradition, and this Thursday (after 12 noon) I will randomly select a winner to be announced here on the blog first thing Friday morning!!
I'll start by sharing a tradition we enjoyed last year and are looking forward to again this year and that is our paper chain to count down to Christmas. The colors coordinate with the candles on the Advent Wreath (purple for weeks 1, 2 and 4, rose for week 3 and white for Christmas day), and each link has something special for Gemma/our family to do for the day. This year I intend to mainly use the "Act" section from Welcome Baby Jesus on our links.
Now it's your turn!!! Leave me a comment sharing a favorite Advent tradition in your home, and enter to win your own copy of Welcome Baby Jesus!!!
I received nothing in return for this review. I wrote it because I thought it was a good book, and purchased my copy and the extra copy to give away myself.
11 comments:
My favorite Advent tradition has to be the Advent Wreath and candles that are lit at each meal. I've loved it since as long as I can remember. That book sounds AWESOME! And I remember wanting to 'steal' your chain idea from last year.
I have to agree with Angie, I think lighting the Advent Wreath at meals is the best. I really like putting prayer and good holy discussion in our meal times - it just makes them so meaningful, food for the body and food for the soul :)
And this book looks so good I might have to buy a couple for friends as well! Thanks for sharing the link.
My favorite Advent tradition has always been "traveling" Mary and Joseph. When we were little, my dad would always start them across the room and move them just a little each day until Christmas Eve when they arrived in town (my parents have the entire town of Bethlehem on their hearth). We continue that tradition in our own home now :).
We have an Advent calendar that you build the manger scene with, and our girls get so excited to get a new piece out each day, so I'd have to say that is my favorite tradition. Last year was the first year Claire got to help with it, and both girls did such a good job taking turns on opening the little doors to get out the newest piece. I really hope they maintain that great attitude this year!
I really like your paper chain countdown, I may try to come up with something like that for us this year.
Along with the advent wreath, we have one with figures that you put out each week with coordinating scriptures, my kids love their chocolate advent calendars.
That book would be a welcome addition to home! Thanks!
We love reading our Jesse Tree stories from the bible and then coloring the ornaments to go along with them.
On December 6th we discuss St. Nick . St. Nick uses a boot to give (VERY SMALL gifts) and we make Santa Claus hand prints (for me to remember how big my babies grow each year:) (The art project is basically for me and my memories, but fun non the less)
I use what I learned from the Catalysis of the Good Shepard. We act out the story of the birth of Jesus with a nativity scene (Kailey has gotten better and better each year). We also count down to the birth of Christ using our advent change (similar to the one you use. At dinner time we use our advent wreath:)
Christmas day is spent going to Mass and spending with family. Kailey has always been given 3 gifts just as Jesus was given 3 gifts.
Anyway, I could REALLY use this book not only in my classroom but at home as well. So if I am not the "WINNER" that is OK I am going to buy probably one for my home and one for my classroom:)
Thanks for sharing, you have wonderful ideas, I LOVE your blog!!
Sounds great! I'd love to peruse it next time I'm at your house.
That's funny that we both did giveaways on our blogs at the same time! I love the advent chain idea--so simple and meaningful and fun! My favorite tradition in Advent is the wreath, and sometimes this is all we really do and it's enough.
I was just thinking of your Advent Chain I really like that tradition. We enjoy lighting the Advent Wreath at dinner but I think the kids enjoy coloring the ornaments for the Jesse Tree and listening to the stories the most.
It's amazing how many kids love the Jesse Tree. Mine have never been big fans. Sigh. Hope springs eternal, though, and kids grow up a year at a time, so I'm probably going to try it again this year.
We'll be reading a picture-book-a-day leading up to Christmas. I really need to start thinking about that list of books this weekend. I think it's my favorite new tradition. I also bought a new Advent wreath this year and am really excited to use it.
I love the idea of acting out the story with a Nativity set. I am totally going to do that this year!
We have many traditions during Advent. Our favorite is taking turns lighting the advent wreath at dinner and then saying a prayer. We also participate in Advent Angels through our parish. The kids each take a Sunday and have fun running up to the door, ringing the door bell and running back to the car. We have met a lot of neat people from the parish too. We also have an advent calendar. One year we did the paper chain and wrote things that we were thankful for on each ring. I almost forgot about the advent nativity scene that you put together on the fridge - one piece each day. The little kids love moving the magnetic pieces around! Thanks for sharing the info on the book- it looks great!
Post a Comment