Friday, July 2, 2010

If Jesus Came to my House -- book review

I checked If Jesus Came to My House out from our local library for Gemma upon a recommendation I read for it in Before Five in a Row. It was a really neat story that I think can resonate with very young toddler-age children and school-age kids as well. When I first read through it I thought it was nice - as it spoke of the young boy's willingness to always give Jesus his best - but at the same time it just sounded kind of goofy to me...until I got to the last part of the book. Then I got it. The book features a little boy talking about what it would be like if Jesus came to his house. He'd like him to be about so tall, to play with his toys and sit in his rocking chair. He talked of how he would pick the nicest flowers and fruit for him in the garden, and let Jesus swing on his favorite tree swing. As I said, I thought it just sounded a bit corny and trite. I mean face it, (and I hate to be such a realist here, but) that is not likely going to happen, so why put the idea in a small, impressionable child's head in the first place. Well, then I got to the page of the book that began, "I know the little Jesus can never call on me in the way that I've imagined..." and as I said, I "got it". It went on to talk about how Jesus may never sit in the rocking chair, but how many other people could be happy sitting there. Flowers can be given to those who are ill, old or alone. Toys can be shared with those who may be poorer, having to do without through no fault of there own. This book hit the nail on the head for an age-appropriate view of the Corporal Works of Mercy and I thought that was awesome. Plus it rhymed (always a bonus in my opinion) and the illustrations were nice. A definite positive addition to the bookshelf of any child under the age of seven or so!

No comments: